Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Hello & Welcome

In light of my brother's incredible success through his own blog, I have decided to create one of my own. The topics that will be addressed here will primarily deal with art and artists, mass media and culture, museums, and the like. "Elective Affinities" refers to a work by Belgian artist Rene Magritte. Magritte's painting depicts an egg trapped within the confines of a cage. Magritte provided the following explanation for his inspiration for the work:

"I awoke in a room in which someone had put a cage with a sleeping bird. A wonderful aberration made me see the cage with the bird gone and replaced by an egg. There and then I grasped a new and astonishing poetic secret, for the shock had been caused by the affinity of two objects, the cage and the bird, whereas previously this shock had been caused by two completely unrelated objects."

From here Magritte would attempt to find "elective affinities" in other objects such as the door and the window. While my foremost goal is to provide commentary on events occurring in the world of art and museums, it would be a great success if I too could create, or at least identify, elective affinities that might provide new perspectives on art and the world in which it exists.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jason Wyckoff said...

"Incredible success" might be overstating it.

Perhaps there will be some overlap of the subject matter on our blogs when my aesthetics course gets around to the ontology of art and artworks.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Corey Wyckoff said...

Don't be so modest.

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can't wait to read something i care enough about to comment on, but glad to see you've found a little hobby...

1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home